2010-04-05

Mercury & Venus in Conjunction

From 2010 Spring Venus&Mercury
I got NASA - Sunset Planet Alert message the other day, and have been watching for Mercury. I have watched the stars all of my life, and have seen all of the naked eye planets before - except for Mercury. Mercury is tough to find for an urban guy like me - low and dim means invisible in the city unless you have a good marker. There is no better marker than Venus!

So Kim and I headed up Royal York, and stood on the overpass over the Gardner, where I knew we would get a good view to the West-North-West, and we waited.
From 2010 Spring Venus&Mercury
Once it started to get dark, maybe 20 minutes after sunset, we saw Venus appear. That is always easy to find in a city sky. The photo's do not really do it justice. As you already know if you watch this type of thing, I think you could see Venus in the night sky from the middle of the new strip in Las Vegas - it is that bright.
From 2010 Spring Venus&Mercury
Even though it was easy to find, I was glad to see that as per my sky map check earlier in the evening, we had good clearance above the horizon, and I was therefore very hopeful we would get Mercury as well!

So we waited awhile, and Bingo! Mercury popped out of the haze!
From 2010 Spring Venus&Mercury
We were very pleased. Lots more photos in the album - click below and enjoy. No doubt lots of better photos out there - but hey - we had fun.
2010 Spring Venus&Mercury

No comments:

Post a Comment